Video segment about me, by the school district

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

What A Find!

"The Water Hole" by Graeme Base
I don't know if I've ever mentioned before that my 21-year-old daughter works in a bookstore.  This is so neat because she knows exactly what kind of books I like for the classroom.  I went in yesterday and picked up The Water Hole by Graeme Base.  I don't know how I missed this book before!  It counts up from 1 to 10 (which I love - so many books count backwards instead), it shows realistic and beautifully colored animals from all over the world, and it incorporates science by having the animals drink from a water hole that gets smaller and smaller as you turn the pages.  So many number books are just not interesting.  This one integrates social studies, science, math and literacy, all at the same time.

I just made these number sequencing cards that you can use to retell the story.  You could laminate them and place them in a math or science center, or assess the students by having them glue them onto a sentence strip.  I think that I am going to do all of the above, because numbers are so important and I really need additional number activities and books.  The Core Curriculum focuses so much on numeral identification, counting, sequencing, etc.

Water Hole Cards 1 to 10


I think I've mentioned this idea in an earlier post, but it works so well that it's worth mentioning again.  Sometimes I use tablecloths to represent different habitats or terrains.  For this story I would use a blue tablecloth, have the students sit around in a circle, and when it's their turn they would come up and drink the water from the "watering hole".  I would then start folding the tablecloth so it gets smaller each time "animals" take a drink.  I'd also fill a clean spray bottle with water and squirt the children a little as they take their drink.  My pre-k and kindergarten students have always been SO into being squirted!  They totally pay attention so they will get their turn to be animals.

Here is another free matching sheet that you could also use to help your students identify numerals and amounts.  If you like this paper, I have a whole collection of these including snap cubes, cars, balloons, and other things that kids really like.  In fact, their preferences inspired me to make most of these sheets.
Number Fingers 6 to 10

Your comments, critiques and questions always help me to improve myself and make better posts/products!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, what a fun filled lesson! I am familiar with the book "Animalia" by the same author! Such a great idea to use the table cloth and squirt the students with water. Such a great concrete example math. LOVE it. Will be getting that book!

    Thank you!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment, Sara! I actually also bought "Animalia". I think I might do an ABC song half-way through that book to keep it exciting, since kinders would get restless listening to the whole book at one sitting.

      Delete
  2. Hey Sharon! I love your new header. It's super cute. :) The only thing I'd suggest adjusting is the placement of your Google+ pin. The +1 button is showing up in the middle of your header. Other than that...it's great! :)

    http://littlemissglamourgoestokindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin, thank you so much for coming over! My helper is not seeing the Google "+1" sign on our computer, but we're going to check from other computers also, to see if we can fix it. I really appreciate your letting me know. You're the best!

      Delete