Video segment about me, by the school district

Saturday, August 4, 2012

There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Books



My wonderful daughter found me another new treasure: There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Books.  She keeps saying that she's going to change jobs and be a waitress instead of working in a book store.  I really hope she stays in the book store!  I love these books.  I have every single one of them, and I think that this book is so fabulous because I can use it to teach school vocabulary words to my brand new kindergarten class.  Many of my students will come in with no pre-k and not speaking English, so I think this book will be a great introduction to school for them.  Here is a free version of the sequencing pictures that I will use, both in large group and for seat work:
Old Lady Swallowed Books Sequence

I usually put magnets on the back of the pictures that I would use for large group.  I give the pictures to the students, and then we read the story.  Each child has to recognize when their picture comes up in the story, and then they come up and put it on a story timeline on the magnetic board.  Later, I place these cards in the Listening Center with the book and a matching CD.  I give my students sentence strips and the mixed-up version of pictures, and they glue the pictures onto the sentence strip in the correct sequence.

A great math tie-in for these wonderful Old Lady books is a song by Dr. Jean called "I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a One" from the CD "Sing Along and Move Along with Dr. Jean".  The song goes up to ten, and each verse rhymes.  It's very catchy and it's wonderful for numeral recognition.  Dr. Jean also has a gentle version of "The Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly" (the song is called "I Know an Old Lady" and is on the CD "Keep on Singing and Dancing with Dr. Jean") where she sings "perhaps she'll cry" instead of "perhaps she'll die".  At the end of the song, she says "this is a silly song, of course" instead of the woman dying.

I use one of the Old Lady books for every month of school.  It's really beneficial to compare and contrast the books using Venn diagrams or  T-charts, for example.  Even pre-k children could remember at the end of the year that we did "Old Lady who Swallowed a Bat" around Halloween, and that we did "Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell" around Christmas.

If you're interested in more ideas, check out two previous posts I wrote:

I Know A Smart Woman
Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow

Let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. These are such great ideas! You are one of my favorite blogs that I follow :)

    ReplyDelete