Video segment about me, by the school district

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Science Sunday: Four Seasons

"Very Hairy Bear" by Alice Schertle

Hello, bloggy friends!  I have this new idea to start doing science posts every Sunday.  I feel guilty sometimes about concentrating so hard on reading and math that science gets left behind.

A few years ago, when I was teaching pre-k, a really fabulous teacher retold the story of Very Hairy Bear by Alice Schertle.  It was awesome!  She dressed like the bear in the story and had props for each season, including berries, a fish, and some honey.  I think it really helped the children to understand that seasons are different from weather.  I've noticed that my kindergarten students now struggle with that concept.  The more natural things I bring into my lessons, the better my students understand that seasons are specific times during the year and weather is what happens during each season.

I brought these Barbies in to concretely show my kiddos what people might wear during each season:

Barbie dolls for all four seasons

The great thing about this is when I held up the first Barbie, the kids were really motivated and eager to tell me everything about the season.  They also explained to me why you wear boots and a long coat during the winter season.  To be honest with you all, I sort of borrowed these Barbies from my daughter.  Ok, she's 23 now, so I don't think she'll miss them.  :)

Another really great center activity that I found is from Lakeshore:

Seasons game from Lakeshore
I like this game so much because it has four mats and lots of realistic props that the children can touch and feel before placing on each season mat.  Using games like this really helps my ESOL children to gain new vocabulary and get a more solid sense of what kind of objects we use in each season.

When I was searching for season graphic organizers with pictures on TPT, I didn't find much.  So I decided to make my own Season and Weather Unit this year.  I recently bought a really sweet clip art package and it makes it very fun to make colorful graphic organizers, guided reading books, and writing prompts.    So, if you need some kid-friendly resources please check out this product!

I would love to hear what season or weather activities you're doing.  I can't wait to hear from you!


4 comments:

  1. Your packet looks great, Sharon! You are so right- Science always gets the left over time and never the spotlight, and the kids LOVE Science! You can tell your daughter that I am impressed that she kept her Barbie hair so nice. Our Barbies all looked like they got caught in a tornado. My girls must have loved brushing that hair!
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn, thank you for the sweet words! Alicia was actually pretty good with her Barbies. I remember one birthday party where the floor was covered with Barbie planes, Barbie boats, Barbie buses, Barbie everything! And somehow the 8 girls who came over knew which things belonged to whom, down to the last shoe. It was one of the most amazing parties that we threw our daughter (and one of the cheapest!).

      Sharon

      Delete
    2. Sharon, that is so sweet! Kids are amazing! My Barbie memory is when my friend's little girl came over and was so excited to play with all of my girls' Barbie things, that she would NOT get up to go to the bathroom and peed all over the rug. And we didn't even know it until they had to leave, and she left a huge wet spot behind! (NOT as amazing as your memory...)
      Carolyn

      Delete
    3. Carolyn, you always make me laugh! :) By the way, how is the weather up there?

      Sharon

      Delete