Video segment about me, by the school district

Saturday, April 4, 2015

National Head Start Conference


Hi everyone, and Happy Easter!  On Wednesday, April 1st, I presented at the National Head Start Conference in Washington, DC.  It was so much fun, and a dream come true!  The strange thing is I'm more nervous about giving Alicia her bridal shower next Saturday than I was for presenting to 70 people who I didn't know at all.  The session was on one of my favorite topics (STEAM in the early childhood classroom) and it was a total blast!

I talked about making gingerbread houses for all the seasons, using Duplos in cross-curricular centers and small group projects, and a few really cool edible experiments.  It went really well, and I met some lovely people who came up and talked to me afterward.  They made me feel so warm and fuzzy.

I was wondering if any of you have a way to do seasonal gingerbread houses that don't include candy?  It was a question that came up during the presentation.

Have a wonderful holiday!

6 comments:

  1. How exciting about your presentation! I bet it was awesome! And I'll be thinking of you with Alicia's bridal shower! :) That will be awesome, too.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carolyn! The audience made it really easy for me to present. Also, my husband gave me an idea for Alicia's shower. He said that I could use little umbrellas as a decorating theme. So I had little umbrellas painted on my ring fingers, and I'm going to try to carry the idea of "April showers bring May weddings" into the party itself. :)

      Delete
  2. You look wonderful presenting! That is an interesting question about doing a GB house without candy! I need to think about that one.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I want it to include all five senses, but I can't think how to stick things onto the house without using frosting. Maybe it's ok, since it's usually a one- or two-day project a year? Thank you for leaving a comment! It makes my day!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for a wonderful presentation! I am really excited to share your ideas with my staff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jen! This experience has really motivated me to put together another presentation on brain-based learning using the five senses. You are so sweet!

      Delete