Video segment about me, by the school district

Sunday, June 14, 2015

3 ABC Tips


Eight more days of school left, but who's counting?  :)  It's been SO hot here in Maryland.  I think the kids are really done.  I'm sorry that I haven't been blogging for a while.  May was filled with school, celebrations, and - best of all - Alicia's wedding!  The flowers arrived on time, the caterer was fabulous, the sangria was cool and refreshing, and everything went off without a hitch.  Our guests loved the new house, and it was really not too trashed after the party.  I'm also happy to announce that I am going to be a grandmom!  So, if any of you have great gift ideas for a grandbaby please let me know.

Ok.  Well, since this is an educational blog, I guess I should say something about school.  I love using songs, YouTube videos, games, and special books to teach the ABC's, so I'm starting a series of alphabet posts that hopefully will help you in your quest for fantastic ideas for learning the ABC's.

I really enjoy the song "Phonercise" by Dr. Jean from Sing to Learn with Dr. Jean.  For this song the children stand up and raise their hands as they say the letter, touch their shoulders as they say the letter sound, and then touch their toes as they say a word that starts with the letter.  According to brain research, it really helps kids to be up and moving.  Having a very active kindergarten class this year with a large number of boys, I can tell you that I use this song almost every day to help get out their wiggles.  I also do this song along with the kids, and since I'm trying to lose weight this year I feel that doing the song with the kids helped me as well.  I made some picture cards to go with this song.  Here they are:



This year I also worked on books for every single letter of the alphabet, which I made to be interactive and so that the children could take them home and have their own library of books.  It took me a year, but I finally finished all the alphabet books and they are now up on TPT.


I've also been doing a lot of Freeze Dance with my kids this year, holding up sight word cards, letter cards, addition sentences, subtraction sentences, anything that I can think of to get my kids up and moving.

Keep an eye out for my next post in this alphabet series!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Sharon! I am so happy to hear about all your awesome family news! That's amazing that you spent a year putting those books together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina, lovely to hear from you! I decided, with 162 products on TPT, that I'm not going to make specific things for the store, but instead use what I make for my own kids. So that's actually why it took so long. I do like this collection because the kids can color them themselves and it will cost teachers less to print them.

      Delete