Video segment about me, by the school district

Monday, March 5, 2012

Simply Symmetry

As I've been searching the internet for wonderful books to use with my kids to teach symmetry, I found this little treasure:  Let's Fly A Kite by Stuart J. Murphy.
"Let's Fly A Kite" by Stuart J. Murphy
It's only $6 from Amazon.com.  It sounds like just the thing I need to teach how to draw a line of symmetry in a fun way.  I also have other books from this series (Math Starts) that are really great.  I'm really interested in books that all of you use for this concept.  If you can, leave a comment below.

Yesterday, when we were working on equal parts, I had the children dividing shapes with Play Doh, but I thought for more independent practice they could use this simple but effective Play Doh mat.  I laminated four of these and put them in my Art Center.
Symmetry Play Doh Mat

During small group today, my pre-k students practiced fine motor skills and learned part-part-whole with this worksheet.  They did a fabulous job with it in class:
Symmetry Shapes

Jeannie, thank you for your sweet comment on my previous fractions/symmetry post.  Here is another symmetry paper that I hope you'll like too:
Symmetry Gingerbread Girl

Finally, here's one more book that you might like to use in kindergarten or in pre-k if you're working on fractions: Eating Fractions by Bruce McMillan.  Let me know what you think.




"Eating Fractions" by Bruce McMillan

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon! I hope you're doing well! I love the fractions ideas. We don't touch on it too much in our kindergarten curriculum but my kids will learn anything if they can have a snack so it might be worth checking out! ;) I listed you today when passing out the latest blogger award. I hope you'll check it out! :)

    P.S. I also adjusted the background thanks to your feedback. Hopefully it's easier to read now!

    Little Miss Glamour Goes to Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your film segment! They really captured the love, talent, and dedication you bring to your classroom and give to your students. What a fitting testimony to many of your gifts! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete