Video segment about me, by the school district

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Rockin' Resources Linky Party


Kelly Dolling over at Teacher Idea Factory is having a great Rockin' Resources Linky Party, and this is so timely for me because I just got back from a week-long Lego Education conference in Kansas City!  I have used Duplo and Lego products in my classroom for years.  I love the way the kids are so motivated and excited to learn math, science, language and social skills that are essential in kindergarten and in pre-k.  At the convention I found out that they make many great products that I never heard about.

1. Duplo Early Simple Machines

Duplo Early Simple Machines

I feel that science should not just be something that is talked about, but that the children should have their hands on the materials, actually seeing and feeling how things work.  What better way to teach about Simple Machines such as pulleys, levers, gears, wheels and axles than to experiment and build with working parts?


2. Duplo Wild Animals

Duplo Wild Animals

The Wild Animals Set is also absolutely fabulous for combining language and science in a uniquely special way.  Children can build different habitats while cooperating with others and having a tremendous amount of fun at the same time.  I know it's a big investment, but this product will last forever.  I have worked with Duplo products and the kids can't break them because it's hard plastic.


3. Measuring Motors

Measuring Motors
A friend bought me Measuring Motors for my birthday and I can't wait to use it in kindergarten this year.  Measuring toys are so hard to find.  This one is so kid-friendly!  It's rubber cars in three different lengths (small, medium and large) with tracks.  Children can place different combinations of cars on the tracks to see how many 1-inch cars it takes to fill the track, how many 2-inch cars it takes, and how many 3-inch cars - or a combination of them.  I like this toy because it shows the children that there's more than one way to arrive at an answer to a problem.  I hate it when students are not allowed to find different solutions to problems.  The cars also come in different colors so they can additionally be used for sorting and patterning.  This is such a multi-purpose tool for mathematics!


4. King School Books

King School Books
These King School books are simply phenomenal.  The books portray friendly, multicultural kids in a kindergarten or first grade setting, depending on the reading level of your students.  Another great thing about these books is that the characters repeat throughout the stories.  So your children are so excited to see Derek or Jasmin in their kindergarten classroom, and then later as they progress in reading they can see those same characters in first grade.  The topics the author chose to write about are things that kindergarten and first grade children actually experience.  If you buy the set, it also comes with a teacher manual, a poster and storage bins.

I'm very curious to know how many of you use Duplo or Lego in your classroom, and what you use.  Please leave a comment below.  I would greatly appreciate it!

10 comments:

  1. Yay! Thank you so much for linking up with me today! I loved your post. Legos/Zoobs/Kinex (well,anything that they can build something cool with) are such fun in the classroom. Each and every year these toys are a hit! Great call on this one for sure!!! Thanks again!

    Kelley Dolling
    Teacher Idea Factory

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I love everything on your list especially the Duplo wild animals and the frogs on a log. They are fantastic ideas! I watched your youtube video Sharon. It was nice getting to know you a bit better and seeing you in action in your classroom. You are so loved by your kids:)
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh great stuff.I haven't heard of Duplo. I think my nephew would love them. I thought I was following you but if not I signed up again. I am truly inspired by your video. YOU ROCK!
    Michele
    at Miss Nelson's Got the Camera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really think Duplo is super. It allows for that fine motor practice, creative thinking, and so many cross-curricular connections that I could go on and on for days!

      Delete
  4. Hi Sharon! I have some Duplo in my class - not as much as I want though! I find that Walmart always has a bag of Duplo on special during their Black Friday sales so I usually grab one or two for the classroom then! I think adding the animal set would be great! I have the Frogs on a Log in my classroom and my students really enjoy it - I think it really helps them develop their number sense!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier. As far as I know that song is only available on youtube. Pete Harry has his own youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/harrykindergarten that you can check out. I love all of his songs!

    By the way, I'm your newest follower! Love what I've read so far!

    Jennifer @ Herding Kats In Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jennifer! I don't know why Pete Harry does not make a CD - he would really sell a lot of them! If we told him that, I wonder if he would do it.

      Delete
  5. I am your newest follower, at least for now :) I love your ideas with Duplos and Legos. I have tried for years to convince my son he wants to give up all of he and his sisters old ones. But no luck. He won't give them up!!! Guess I will just have to buy some more!
    Rita
    ...and remember ...always stay 'Wild About School!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita, I'm trying to find Duplos and Legos at thrift stores for my classroom. I know what you mean about your son not wanting to give them up. I've asked my adult housemate to let me have some of his Legos, and he pretty much told me "over his dead body"! Wow, I never knew before how well loved Duplos and Legos really are.

      Delete
  6. Sharon, thank you for visiting my blog, I am now a new follower of yours! I loved some of the resources you shared, can't wait to learn more.

    Caralee
    Confessions of a Teachanista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Caralee! Unfortunately for my wallet, I am a toy shopaholic and I'm always posting about products that I really can't do without for the classroom.

      Delete