Video segment about me, by the school district

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Princess Post

Book Cover of "There Was an Odd Princess Who Swallowed a Pea"

I can't believe how quickly time goes by!  There are children in 6th grade who are graduating from my school on Thursday who I taught kindergarten to.  I also just had my 44th birthday.  I still mentally feel like that young girl who was so dreamy-eyed about going into teaching.  Physically, though, it's a little harder to stand up after bending down to tie shoes or squatting to hear what one of my little kinders is urgently trying to whisper to me.  You know what I mean?  I do try to savor those beautiful moments, though.  One of my students told me, in a card, "You are my love."  Only in kindergarten, right?  :)

Anyway, for my birthday I got this unusual version of "The Old Lady Who Swallowed a...":  There Was An Odd Princess Who Swallowed A Pea by Jennifer Ward.  It's very funny and perfect for my class.  Both my boys and my girls love anything to do with fantasy and also things that are humorous and a little strange.  Be warned!  This princess does swallow people, including a witch, a queen, and a prince.  I'm going to try it tomorrow with my kiddos, along with the original song "There Was an Old Lady who Swallowed a Fly".  They love that one!

I'm also going to use this graphic organizer of things in the story and things not in the story:



Since this book also has really nice recap on every page of what's been swallowed so far, I think the story lends itself to a sequencing paper:



The following day, I'm also going to have the students do their own little fairy tale story using my Fantasy Writing Folder.

I only have one week of school left, and our county curriculum has actually ended, so I'm really just trying to improve my students' writing and creativity.  I'd love to hear what you're doing in your final days of school (or, if you're in another part of the world, what you're doing currently with your students).  Have a lovely weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment