Video segment about me, by the school district

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Mother's Day Magic

Ok, I'm going to be honest.  I was out of school for the last two days at a teacher workshop.  I didn't even remember that Mother's Day was Sunday until about half an hour ago.  I nearly started pulling out my hair!  I love all of my students' moms, and I had to come up with a quick idea.  Since we've been working so much on writing lately, I thought "Why not use these Mother's Day cards that I created last year?"



I also really love this book, My Mommy Is Magic by Carl Norac.  The son in the book talks about all the ways in which his mom is amazing and magical, accomplishing feats that nobody else could.  She can chase monsters away after a bad dream, conjure a delicious cake out of thin air, etc.  It really captures the admiration and awe that children have for their mothers, and your students will absolutely love it.

For guided reading, I wanted to use this book:



When I was little, I sang the song "M-O-T-H-E-R" to my mother.  I did it when I was six years old, and I still remember all the words, and I'm almost 45 now!  So it really made an impression.  It's a great song for kids to learn about their mothers, because it's so true.  Here are the lyrics:

M Is for the Many things she gave me,
O Means only that she’s growing Old.
T Is for the Tears she shed to save me,
H Is for her Heart of purest gold.
E Is for her Eyes with love light shining,
R Means Right and Right she’ll always be.


I would love to hear what other mother-teacher's are doing for Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment