Video segment about me, by the school district

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Back to School with Beanbags

So, with about a week-and-a-half left before I have to go back to school, I've been thinking about the first day.  It's definitely true that we have to do rules and routines, as well as explain procedures for how we want our students to do different things in the classroom.  But I think it's also crucial that our students have brain breaks that first day, and something really fun and enjoyable to make them excited to get up for school the next day.  Therefore I thought I'd share a post about beanbag activities!

I love teaching position words with beanbags.  I teach position words such as "over", "under", "on top of", "between" "behind", and "in front".  Some really great songs for this are:

"Beanbag Balance" by Kimbo Educational
"Beanbag Boogie" by Greg & Steve.
"Beanbag Bop" by Jack Hartmann

I also like to play with alphabet beanbags.  I have the children march in a circle, using the song "Freeze Dance", and have them pick up a beanbag with a letter on it when the music stops.  You simply point to a child, and they say the letter they have.  If they don't know it, you can give clues to help them out.

Lakeshore Learning has some great beanbags, such as:





Number beanbags are really cool as well.  Using any kind of music, sort of in the same ideas a "Freeze Dance" where when you stop the music, the children pick up a number.  They have to identify the number and do something (such as hop, clap hands, or blink) that many times.  The beanbags can also be put in sequential order.  Or if you have a few sets, kids can look around for their partners with the same number.

I'd love to hear what you do in your class with beanbags!  Write a comment below if you'd like to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment