Video segment about me, by the school district

Friday, December 30, 2011

The Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow

In January, one book that I can't wait to read to my students is There Was A Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow.  I like it because it's really great for remembering details and sequencing.  It's also a fabulous link to talking about temperature and different types of weather and seasons.  I compare this book to previous books that we've read, such as There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly, There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A BatThere Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Pie, and There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Trout.  In fact, every month of the school year I do a different version of this story.  I always make props that my students can use to say what she swallowed first, second, third, etc.  I use large pictures when we do whole-group retells, and smaller pictures for them to sequence on sentence strips for their seat work.

Please enjoy these January giveaways.
Sequencing Pictures for There Was A Cold Lady Swallowed Some Snow

Pictures for There Was A Cold Lady Swallowed Some Snow

If you want more "Old Lady Who..." props, look at my store on Teachers Pay Teachers:

Story Props for There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Bat
Story Props for There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Pie
Story Props for There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Trout

There's a really great song by Dr. Jean Feldman (from Keep On Singing And Dancing With Dr. Jean, which you can find here) called "There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly."  I especially like this song because instead of ending the rhyme with "...perhaps she'll die," Dr. Jean says "...perhaps she'll cry."  And at the very end of the song, after she swallows the horse, it says "...this is a silly song, of course."

No comments:

Post a Comment