Video segment about me, by the school district

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Food Graphs

I’ve noticed that sometimes January feels like a very long month to me, as a teacher.  I try to liven things up by doing several types of food graphs in January.  I especially like using food because it involves all five of the senses.  My kindergarten students used to tell me that graphing was one of their favorite things.  One day, my principal came into my classroom and asked me what I was doing with the Teddy Grahams and Goldfish.  I was ready!  I said “Well, they’re learning more vs. less, columns vs. rows, how to create a graph, one-to-one correspondence, sorting, and how to follow directions.”  My principal was satisfied, and we continued our fun activity.

A Goldfish/Teddy Graham graph completed by a student
I have been doing graphs for many years now, and I have discovered some really great tricks to make this activity very successful with as many as 30 students at a time.  First I count out sets of 5 Goldfish crackers and 3 Teddy Graham cookies for each student, and put each student's set into a Ziploc.  I tell the students to color in each Goldfish on the graph using an orange crayon and each Teddy Graham with a brown crayon.  It's important to remind the students to only color in the amount that they have.  It's also important to show them where to start coloring each row.
Graph Goldfish Teddy Grahams Landscape

If you're interested in more graphs, please take a look at my TPT store.
My Candy Graphs on Teachers Pay Teachers

No comments:

Post a Comment